Last modified: May 9, 2019
Lives in the Balance and its affiliates (“company,” “us,” “our,” or “we”) respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our privacy practices as described in this Policy.
This Policy outlines the personal information we collect, how it is used, and the choices you have with regard to your personal information. This Policy applies to the personal information Lives in the Balance collects through its website, mobile application, and any other website owned by Lives in the Balance that posts a link to this Policy (collectively referred to as “website”).
Children Under the Age of 13
No one under age 13 may provide any information, personal or otherwise, to or on any of our websites. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not provide any information on this website or on or through any of its features, make any purchases, or provide any information about yourself to Us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
Information We May Collect
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our website. This includes personal information and contact information provided at the time of registering to utilize resources available through our website such as subscribing to our newsletter or promotional emails, submitting material, reporting a problem, or requesting further services;
- Other personal information that you choose to provide to Our Website, such as your photograph, videos of you, or other information provided by you in connection with your use of our website
- Records and copies of your correspondence;
- Your search queries on our website.
To the extent (if any) that you choose to provide information in connection with our social media platforms outside of our website (for example, through our Facebook pages or Twitter feeds), any information you provide in those settings is posted and transmitted at your own risk and subject to the terms of those social media platforms’ privacy policies if they have a separate policy.
Mobile Application Exception: If you download and use our mobile application we do not collect any personal information that you may enter in the application. That personal information is stored locally on your device. We however track how many times our applications are downloaded.
If you use one of our referral features, such as providing us with a friend’s email address, we may use the email you provide to send the recipient an email on your behalf. By using any such referral feature, you represent that you and the recipient are United States residents and that you have permission to provide the recipient’s email address and to send the message.
Information We Collect Automatically
As you navigate through and interact with our website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the website;
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, browsing history, browser type, device unique identifier, mobile network information, and device’s telephone number. Currently, our web servers do not recognize or respond to “Do Not Track” signals and our website may continue to collect information in the manner described in this Policy;
- Information about your location, if your device is set to provide location information.
Although much of the information that we collect automatically is statistical data or other aggregated information, it may include personal information, or we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from or through third parties. This information helps us to improve our website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate Our audience size and usage patterns;
- Store information about your preferences, allowing Us to customize Our Website according to your individual interests
- Speed up your searches;
- Recognize you when you return to our website
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings that are used for browser cookies.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us to count users who have visited those pages, and allow us to see other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
- Location Technology. We may use Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) software and other location-identifying technologies to collect information about your location. You may adjust the settings on your device to allow or prevent the sharing of location information.
How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our website and their contents to you;
- To provide you with information about our products and services;
- To communicate with you and fulfill your requests;
- To protect the security of our website;
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection;
- To notify you about changes to any of our website or products or services we offer;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our website;
- To help us personalize our services, products, and advertising;
- In other ways we describe, when you provide the information;
- For other purposes, with your consent.
We may also use your information to contact you about our own and/or third-parties’ workshops and training opportunities that may be of interest to you.
Our website may include third-party advertising and links to other websites. We do not have access to or control over the privacy practices, cookies or other features that advertisers and third party sites may use, and the information practices of these advertisers and third party websites are not covered by this Policy. We accept no responsibility or liability and make no representations about the policies of these third parties. It is your responsibility to read these third parties’ privacy policies before visiting their site or choosing to share information with them.
You can generally opt-out of receiving personalized ads from third party advertisers and ad networks who are members of the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) or who follow the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising by visiting the opt-out pages on the NAI website and DAA website.
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, according to local law.
- To service providers and other third parties We use to support our business, including marketing and research companies;
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give Us an email address to send you our newsletter;
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Lives in the Balance, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction;
- In the case of a suspected data breach, to communicate with outside parties;
- In other ways we describe, when you provide the information;
- For other purposes, with your consent.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We work with third-party companies that use tracking technologies (including cookies and pixel tags) on our website in order to provide certain tailored advertisements on our behalf and on behalf of other advertisers across the Internet. These companies may collect information about your activity on our website and your interaction with our advertising and other communications and use this information to determine which ads you see on third-party websites and applications. These technologies and the information collected about you may also be used to track your activity across multiple devices. For more information about this practice and to understand your options including how to opt out of receiving these tailored advertisements, please visit http://www.aboutads.info. You should be aware that even if you opt-out, these tracking technologies may still collect data and you will still see ads, but they will not be targeted based upon the information collected through these tracking technologies.
Additionally, we strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Promotional Offers from the Company. If you do not wish to have your email address used by the Company to promote our products or services, you can opt-out by following the instructions at the bottom of our promotional emails, or at any other time by logging into the website or mobile app and adjusting your user preferences in your account profile by checking or unchecking the relevant boxes. This opt out does not apply to information provided to Lives in the Balance as a result of a product purchase, warranty registration, product service experience or other transactions.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section §1798.83 permits users of our website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out information.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we take measures to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted through our website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for the circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on our website.
If changes to this Policy are made, we will notify you by revising the date on this Policy. We encourage you to stay informed about our privacy practices by reviewing the Policy whenever you interact with us. In certain cases, we may provide you with additional notice of changes to this Policy. We will not treat your personal information collected under a previous version of this Policy in a materially different manner without first receiving your consent. Any change to this Policy will be effective immediately and your continued use of our website indicates your consent.
Transfer Outside the United States
If you have any questions about this Policy or would like to request access to your Personal Information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Effective Date: May 9, 2019
Last modified: May 9, 2019
ADDITIONAL PROVISIONS APPLICABLE TO PROCESSING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION OF EUROPEAN UNION RESIDENTS
For individuals residing in the European Union (“EU”), this Appendix outlines certain additional information that Lives in the Balance (“LITB”) is obligated to provide to you, as well as certain rights you have with respect to the processing of your personal information, pursuant to applicable local laws. This Appendix will control to the extent it conflicts with any provision in the main body of this Statement.
Data Protection Officer: LITBs Data Protection Officer may be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the following address:
Attn: Data Protection Officer
Lives in the Balance
PO Box 15353
Portland ME 04112 USA
Purposes and Legal Basis for Processing
LITB processes your personal information for the following purposes, relying on the following legal bases:
- Newsletters: We process your personal data to send you Our newsletter. The types of data we collect for this purpose include your email address and certain protocol data from your computer which may accrue when you sign up for our newsletter. The legal basis for processing this data is your consent (GDPR Article 6(1)(a));
- Event Profiles: We process the personal information obtained in connection with your event. The types of data we collect for this purpose may include your name, contact information, and travel information. The legal basis for processing this data is that it is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, or in order to take steps at your direction prior to entering into a contract (GDPR Article 6(a)(b));
- Social Media: We may process your data if you choose to participate in LITB-sponsored social media activities and offerings. The types of data we may collect include your name, contact information, and image. The legal basis for processing this data is your consent (GDPR Article 6(1)(a));
- Direct Marketing: We may process your data for the purposes of direct marketing. The types of data We may process include your name, contact information, and other biographical information. The legal basis for processing this type of data is your consent, which can be withdrawn at any time.
- Retention: We retain personal information about you for the time necessary to accomplish the purpose for which such information was collected, usually for the duration of any contractual relationship and for any period thereafter as legally required or permitted by applicable law.
Data Subject Rights
Residents of the EU may have certain rights regarding the processing of their personal data, including the right to:
Access, Correction and Erasure Requests
- Ask us to confirm whether we are processing your personal information
- Receive information on how your data is processed
- Obtain a copy of your personal information
- Request that we update or correct your personal information
- Request that we delete personal information in certain circumstances
Right to Object to Processing:
- for marketing activities, including profiling
- for statistical purposes
- where such processing is based on our legitimate business interests, unless we are able to demonstrate a compelling legitimate basis for such processing or we need to process your personal information for the establishment, exercise or defense of a legal claim
Right to Restrict Processing:
- while LITB is evaluating or in the process of responding to a request by you to update or correct your personal information
- where such processing is unlawful and you do not want LITB to delete your data
- where LITB no longer requires such data, but you want us to retain the data for the establishment, exercise or defense of a legal claim
- where you have submitted an objection to processing based on our legitimate business interests, pending our response to such request
- where we limit the processing of your personal information pursuant to your request, we will inform you prior to re-engaging in such processing
Data Portability Requests: You have the right to request that we provide you or a third party that you designate with certain of your personal information in a commonly used, machine readable format. Please note, however, that data portability rights apply only to personal information that we have obtained directly from you and only where our processing is based on consent or the performance of a contract.
Submitting Requests: your requests may be submitted by writing to email@example.com or LITB Data Protection Officer, PO Box 15353, Portland, ME 04112 USA. You may also update your personal information as provided in Section 12 (Changing and Accessing Your Personal Information) of the main body of this Global Privacy Statement. We will respond to all such requests within 28 days of our receipt of the request, unless there are extenuating circumstances, in which event we may take up to 60 days to respond. We will inform you if we expect our response to take longer than 28 days. Please note, however, that certain personal information may be exempt from such rights pursuant to applicable data protection laws. In addition, we will not respond to any request unless we are able to appropriately verify the requester’s identity. We may charge you a reasonable fee for subsequent copies of data that you request.
Right to Withdraw Consent: You have the right to withdraw your consent to any processing that we conduct solely based on your consent (such as sending you our newsletter to your personal email account). You may withdraw your consent by following the instructions on any emails, or contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Data Transfers: We may transfer the personal information we collect about you pursuant to the purposes described in this Statement to countries that have not been found by the European Commission to provide adequate protection. In particular, we transfer your personal information to the United States.
We use appropriate safeguards for the transfer of personal information among our service providers and/or affiliates in various jurisdictions.